|| Staff members, parents, and community members are encouraged to submit questions or communications to the School Board through the Superintendent. If contacted individually, Board members will refer the person to the appropriate channel of authority, except in unusual situations. Board members' questions or communications to staff or about programs should be channeled through the Superintendent's office. Board members do not have the authority to take private action.
Board Member Use of Electronic Mail or Other Social Media
E-mail, or the use of other social media to, by, and among Board members, in their capacity as Board members, shall not be used to discuss Board business. It shall be limited to:
- Disseminating information; and
- Messages not involving deliberation, debate, or decision-making.
It may contain:
- Agenda item suggestions;
- Reminders regarding meeting times, dates, and places;
- Board meeting agendas or information concerning agenda items; or
- Individual responses to questions posed by the community, administrators, or school staff, subject to the other limitations in this policy.
A Board member sending an e-mail concerning the District shall copy the Superintendent or designee, who shall store the message. There is no expectation of privacy for any messages sent or received by e-mail.
LEGAL REF.: 23 Ill. Admin. Code § 1.220.
CROSS REF.: 2:220 (School Board Meeting Procedure), 3:30 (Line and Staff Relations), 8:50 (Visitors to the Schools), 8:110 (Public Complaints)
Reviewed: October 20, 2003; January 18, 2011
Adopted: November 17, 2003
Revision Adopted: December 18, 2006, February 7, 2011